This is the QUICKEST Pulled Chicken or Shredded Chicken or Salsa Chicken recipe ever! Another pressure cooking wonder where dinner is on the table in under 30 minutes.
I have to admit that I’m addicted to Tacos! Give it to me in any form- warm, cold, deep-fried, char-grilled, with any kind of meat, any kind of toppings and I’ll be happy. But this recipe is ever so simple that if dinner got any easier, I’d have to call it take-out. These Pulled Chicken Tacos can be easily transformed into Pulled Chicken Sliders for game day parties as well. This recipe can be made low-carb, by switching the tortillas with lettuce cups– my husband loves those.
The process to put it together is super easy. In this video, I’ve made this recipe in my Instant Pot. Sauté aromatics and simply throw in your favorite jar of salsa, few spices and chicken. Fill it, shut it, forget it!! You can switch chicken for pork. Just cut it up in 1.5-2 inch pieces and increase the timer to 15 minutes. I love it when weeknight dinners come together in a jiffy, but taste like they’ve been cooking low and slow for a long time! Best part is, it tastes delicious without any condiments too, but go for your favorite toppings to take it over the top!
You can make this tasty goodness on the stove-top too. Here’s how:
- Prep: Slice onion and bell pepper into thin slices. Heat a sauce pan on medium high heat. Wait 30 seconds and add oil.
- Add sliced onions and bell peppers and sauté for 30 seconds. Add red wine vinegar and sauté another 30 seconds. Add half of the salt & pepper, so 1/4 teaspoon each and stir well. Remove in a bowl and keep aside.
- Add salsa, water and spices in the sauce pan and and stir well. Add chicken breast and coat well with the sauce. Reduce the heat to medium. Cover with a lid. Cook for 15 minutes on medium heat or till chicken is tender and pulling apart easily with two forks. Stir every 5 minutes to ensure that the chicken or sauce doesn’t stick and burn at the bottom.
- Remove the lid. Remove chicken in a platter. Using two forks shred the chicken. Meanwhile, add cocoa powder in the sauce and stir well.
- Add shredded chicken, onions and peppers in the sauce and stir well. Serve with warm tortillas of your choice and top with your favorite topping like cheese, sour cream, salsa and jalapeños.
Pulled Chicken Fajita TacosPrint Recipe
- 2 lb. chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced (optional)
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 12 oz. jar of salsa (I used Trader Joe's Salsa Authentica)
- 1/4 cup water (this is optional- to be used if the salsa is very thick and chunky)
- 2 tablespoons Mexican Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Unsweetened Cocoa(optional but highly recommended)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pack of corn tortillas (or your favorite kind)
- Toppings of your choice
Prep: Slice onion and bell pepper into thin slices.Turn Instant Pot on Sauté. Wait 30 seconds and add oil.
Add sliced onions and bell peppers and sauté for 30 seconds. Add red wine vinegar and sauté another 30 seconds. Add half of the salt & pepper, so 1/4 teaspoon each and stir well. Remove in a bowl and keep aside. This way they maintain their crunch. You can choose to leave them in there too, OR, skip this step entirely. Turn Off the Instant Pot.
Mix together salsa, water (if using) and spices. Add chicken breast and pour the salsa mix over it to coat well with the sauce. Putting the chicken first reduces the chances of the sauce sticking at the bottom. Close lid. Set valve to Sealing position. Cook on Manual (high)/Pressure Cook for 8 minutes. If your chicken breast is too thick, increase the time to 10 minutes.
Open the lid after naturally releasing pressure for 10 minutes (NPR 10). Remove chicken in a platter. Using two forks shred the chicken. Meanwhile, add cocoa powder in the sauce and stir well.
Add shredded chicken, onions and peppers in the sauce and stir well. Serve with warm tortillas of your choice and top with your favorite topping like cheese, sour cream, salsa and jalapeños.
Stove-top Pressure cooker (Hawkins/Prestige brand): Follow step 1 and 2. For step 3: Cook on medium-high heat till 1st whistle. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 4-5 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes. Follow remaining instructions for assembling tacos.