Soft, spongy, melt-in-your-mouth Rava Idli is a real favorite with my kids. Rava Idli, which is made with semolina flour called Rava, is a variation of the popular south-Indian breakfast dish called ‘Idli’ (steamed rice & lentil cakes).
Super easy to make, this instant breakfast or snack recipe needs no grinding or fermenting, and comes together in 30 minutes, with only 5-7 minutes of active cooking time. In this recipe, I’ve made rava idli in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot, using my newest kitchen toy, Silicone Molds. These molds work great for a variety of recipes including, eggs-bites, mini lava cakes and more. I love it when a kitchen accessory can be used for multiple recipes!
Serving suggestion: Rava Idli can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch or snack. These idlis make for excellent school lunches too. In my house, we each have a different ‘favorite’ condiment to enjoy it with. We have it with ginger chutney, coconut chutney, cilantro-mint chutney, and ketchup… yes, ketchup:-)
Here’s how easy it is to put this together:
Instant Pot Rava Idli (Steamed Semolina Cakes)Print Recipe
- Idli mix (Mix the following ingredients and keep aside for 15 mins)
- 1 cup Sooji/Rava/Semolina
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup water
- 3/4-1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste- I add 3/4)
- You can customize the following ingredients to your liking
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews or peanuts
- 2 tablespoons frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped carrots (chop them about the size of peas)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated ginger, OR, 1/2 teaspoon dry ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- To be added just before cooking
- 3/4 teaspoon Eno Fruit Salt, OR, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda+1/2 teaspoon citric acid
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad Dal (Split Black Lentils)
- 4-5 curry leaves, chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped (optional)
Prep: In a large bowl, add all ingredients listed under 'Idli Mix', and mix well. Keep aside for 15 minutes while you prep the instant pot and molds. Add 2 cups of water in the inner pot and turn on SAUTE (high), so that the water comes up to a boil. Grease the silicone molds or Idli steamer lightly, using PAM cooking spray or ghee. Keep aside.
Prepare tempering: Heat a fry-pan on medium-high heat. Add all ingredients listed under 'Tempering'. Wait for the mustard seeds to pop, and urad dal to turn golden in color. Remove from heat and mix in the idli batter.
Cook idli: Add Eno fruit salt in the batter and mix it in gently. Don't over-mix the batter. Fill up the silicone molds about 3/4th of the way. Place the silicone tray on a trivet and lower it in the instant pot. At this point the water will be boiling, so be careful while doing that. Carefully stack the second mold on top of the first one, placing it such that the cavities DON'T overlap. If using Idli stand, fill up the idli molds 3/4 of the way and follow the same process. Close the lid. Set vent at VENTING position. Press STEAM for 12 minutes. The Instant Pot doesn't count down the timer in STEAM mode, so set an external timer (oven, microwave, siri, alexa).
Idli is done: When the timer is done, let the pin drop before opening the lid, takes about 30 seconds or so. Carefully open lid and remove the silicone molds or idli stand. Let the idlis cool for 2-3 minutes before popping them out of the mold. If using the silicone molds, they slip right out when you invert the mold and push gently. Serve idli warm, with your favorite side of chutney. We love ours with homemade cilantro-mint chutney and ginger chutney.