Game day just doesn’t feel complete without a simmering pot of Chili! Try this spicy, tasty, quick ‘n’ easy, and healthier recipe for Chili. Made with ground chicken, taco seasoning and creamy pinto beans, you’ll love this protein and fiber packed warm bowl of goodness, on a cold, winter night too.
It’s a fairly easy recipe to put together in my programmable pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO. The actual cook time is about 8 minutes and including the time it takes the pot to pressurize and depressurize, this dish is ready to be served in under 30 minutes, from start to finish.
I love the traditional chili made with ground beef. That can easily be used in the same recipe and it works great. But, in an effort to make this chili a lower calorie dish, I substituted ground beef with lean ground chicken in this recipe. Honestly, I couldn’t tell the difference, except, that this one was lighter. The other two Chili recipes that are on my repeat menu are White Chicken Chili and Black Bean Chili .
Leftovers: Whenever I make this Chili, there is always enough leftovers for dressing up some Chili Hot Dogs the next day- and that’s our bonus! I make these a lot for game-day parties too! Just heat up the chili, boil the pre-cooked franks or sausage links. Dress up the bun with ketchup, mustard and relish, top with the sausage, pour a couple of ‘generous’ spoon full of chili all over, sprinkle some chopped onion and thinly sliced cheddar cheese over that, and take a bite! Yum!!
Easy Instant Pot Chicken ChiliPrint Recipe
- 1 tablespoons Light Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb. ground chicken (can use ground turkey or beef too)
- 1 14-15oz. can Pinto Beans, rinsed and drained (can use Kidney Beans)
- I 4 oz. can Diced Green Chiles
- 1 14-15 oz.can Diced Tomatoes(or crushed)
- 1 tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (optional, but highly recommended)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1.3 oz. pack Trader Joe's Taco Seasoning Mix, or,
- if you don't have Taco seasoning, use this combination below:
- 3 tablespoons Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Ground
- 1.5 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1.5 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- Garnish choices
- Chopped spring onions
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
Turn on Instant Pot SAUTE mode (high/more) and add oil. Add chopped onions and garlic and saute for one minute. Add ground chicken and saute for 2-3 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to break the lumps of ground chicken. Add taco seasoning, rinsed and drained pinto beans, tomatoes and green chiles, cocoa powder and water. Stir well. Cancel SAUTE. Close lid. Vent to sealing position. Set manual or pressure cook for 8 minutes.
Wait for natural pressure release for 10 minutes (NPR 10), and release the remaining pressure after turning the knob to "venting" position. Open lid after pin has dropped. To thicken chili, mash a few beans with the wooden spoon and turn on Saute for 2-3 minutes. This step is optional and required only if you like a thicker chili. Garnish with your favorite toppings.